Meet the Expert: Anna Feringa
Workplace Mental Health Consultant, Trainer & International Speaker
1. What is your role?
Director – Anna Feringa Consulting PTY LTD
2. What was your first job?
Great Australia Ice Creamery!
3. Who is your hero?
Tony Robbins.. ok he can be a bit annoying at times but imagine having his influence over Workplace Mental Health!
4. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
5. If you could have a dinner party with anyone in the world, which three people would you invite?
Nelson Mandela – (Inspiration), Carl Barron, (Fun)!, Sam Heughan – Jamie from Outlander (Sexiness)
6. What makes your heart sing?
7. What do you do to switch off from work?
Run, socialise, hang out with my two-year-old nephew (the only child I like).
8. How do you manage the stressors of work and life?
Laugh, learn from your mistakes, don’t take yourself too seriously, don’t let the judgement of others become your mantra, it just doesn’t make sense – read that again! Check-in and make sure you are still enjoying what you are doing – if not, why not?
9. What is one thing all businesses should be doing to support the health and wellbeing of their people?
Understanding that it is a ‘must have’ not a ‘nice to’ have. The evidence speaks for itself when companies prioritise the mental health of their people
10. CTM Partners are about Conversations That Matter. Why are conversations that matter important to you?
Conversations save lives – The end.
11. How can we create more opportunities to have conversations that matter?
Right now the conversations that matter are about why we should do something about mental health in the workplace rather than what is working in workplaces…lots of talk about intention but minimal conversations about action and outcomes.
We can improve this by:
- Prioritise Mental Health Diagnostics, Policy development, consultation with our people
- Get Senior management behind and in front of mental health
- Educate your staff with mental health
- Build capability in your organisation to manage mental health and
- Measure mental health Psychosocial risks in the workplace to mitigate and better manage risk for people and your company.
Once all this is commonplace in Australian business the conversations will be endless…I want to take the conversation from convincing companies why they ‘should’ embrace mental health to having conversations about the benefits of what they achieved after they embraced it!
Thanks for your time, Anna!